Before I start to guide you on how to configure phpMyAdmin let me tell you what is phpMyAdmin. Well, the answer is –
phpMyAdmin is a free and open source tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL with the use of a web browser. It can perform various tasks such as creating, modifying or deleting databases, tables, fields or rows; executing SQL statements; or managing users and permissions.
How to configure phpMyAdmin on Windows 7 step by step
Installing phpMyAdmin on windows pc is pretty straight forward. You don’t have to do many things if you have already installed PHP and MySQL on your windows 7 pc. If you have not done these yet then click on the following links to learn about PHP and MySQL installation.
Let’s start installing phpMyAdmin
- Download phpMyAdmin from here
- Extract the zip archive.
- Rename the folder if you want to then cut & paste renamed folder to c:\.
- Click on Start button after that click on Control Panel.
- Now click on System and Security in Control Panel window.
- Click on Administrative Tools link.
- Now double click on Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- On IIS Manager expand the nodes in Connections pane until you see Default Web Site.
- Right click on Default Web Site then click on Add Application option in context menu.
- In Alias Name field enter phpMyAdmin.
- Browse and select Physical Path of the phpMyAdmin folder from c:\
- Click on Ok button.
- Now in IIS manager you will see phpMyAdmin is added in Default website list. Right click on phpMyAdmin then click on Manage Application and then click on Browse.
- Now your browser will load a page as follows. Enter “root” without quotes in Username field and your MySql password in Password field and hit the Go button.
If you enter MySql Username and Password correctly then you will be able to see the following page where you will be able to administer your MySql databases.
Once you setup phpMyAdmin in IIS manager you can open it without opening IIS manager. To do this open any browser installed in your pc and type http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/ in browser address bar and hit Enter key in keyboard.